Day in history for March 8, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- Our citizens must cease importing articles and support Rock Island merchants.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The Rock Island Turners have selected Joseph Haas as president and John Ohlweiler as vice president.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- While going down 18th Street with a load of paint last night, W.C. Hubbe's horse became frightened at a passing car and overturned the wagon, putting the paint and Hubbe in the ditch.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Primary balloting in Rock Island is light but normal for an off-year. The talley up to noon today was 960 votes cast.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Members of the WaWaTaSee Katsina Indian Dancers left at 6 this morning by bus for the American Camping Assn. convention in St. Louis, Mo. The dance team is composed of boys and girls from Bell Air Explorer Squadron of Trinity Episcopal Church, YMCA Camp Hauberg and Girl Scout Troop 12 of Alleman High School.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Mer-Roc Farm Service workers today faced a massive cleanup of 10,000 gallons of farm chemicals in the aftermath of a spectacular fire Sunday that sent 37 people to the hospital and forced about 40 people to leave their homes for several hours. Firefighters had to stand by and watch the flames consume the large farm supply warehouse on Illinois 17, east of Aledo.
Back: Available days in March 2007