Day in history for March 5, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- The cold weather continues and the ice gives no sign of another start downstream.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- A cold wave struck the city last night, but no snow accompanied it and it is hoped that it will not tarry long.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The Rock Island Tool Co., the city's newest industry, has secured the former Thompson Foundry on 24th St. and the machine shop in the Donaldson Sawmill and will begin operations at once.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Plans to recognize the efforts of pupils who fail to win regular athletic awards although they try out for various school teams, are being considered by the boys' work committee of the Rock Island Junior Chamber of Commerce.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- The City of Rock Island today faced the task of getting rid of thousands of dead fish which lay along the banks and frozen in ice at Lake Potter in Sunset Park. The fish are practically all ''skipjacks,'' a type which skips and lives near the surface of the water. Death of the fish is attributed to lack of oxygen.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Managers of Quad-City apartment buildings are wondering these days where all the people have gone. Managers of large area apartment complexes say business has been down, and most blame the massive layoffs at area farm implement industries.
Back: Available days in March 2007