Day in history for March 29, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- Two convicts sentenced to prison for larceny broke out of jail Wednesday night and are still at large. Since the above was in type, we have learned that the prisoners who escaped were retaken yesterday.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The furniture purchased by the county for the pest house in South Rock Island has been removed to the city hall because of a petition for an injunction against the use of the house.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The links of the Rock Island Arsenal Golf Club will be opened informally tomorrow to its members.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Augustana College is leading the Men's Division of the Illinois College Debate League and can do no worse this year than tie for the top spot.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Margaret Jean Roberts, Davenport soprano, will sing before royalty Monday night. She has been invited to sing the title role in the opera ''La Tosca'' at the Monte Carlo Opera House in Monaco. In the audience will be Prince and Princess Ranier.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- About 40 Moline students will head for the state math contest sponsored by the Illinois Council of Teachers of Mathematics and hosted by Illinois State University in Normal on May 1. The Moline team captured first place team honors Saturday at a regional contest at Black Hawk College.
Back: Available days in March 2007