Day in history for March 20, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- We should think it not difficult to find the drug store of Walter Scribner because he has a tremendous mortar as a sign. It's a whopper.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The old Central City Store Works was consumed by fire last night.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Mayor McCaskrin is officially a candidate for reelection. He filed his petition with City Clerk H.C. Schaffer yesterday.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- ''Shanghai Express,'' Marlene Dietrich's first starring picture since she returned from Europe, opened yesterday at the Fort Theater with Clive Brook in the male lead. The current attraction at the Spencer is Smith and Dale in ''Manhattan Parade.''
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- The Moline High School 70-piece band went on tour today, playing a concert at Kewanee High at 8:30 a.m. and another at Knoxville at 12:45 p.m. The group then journeyed to Galesburg, where they visited the Burlington Railroad's roundhouse and yards and also toured the campus of Knox College.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- David Johnston, a Rock Island native, has returned to his hometown to direct the new Resident Children's Theater Company at Circa 21 Dinner Playhouse, Rock Island. Johnston has been living in Eugene, Ore., where he worked as an assistant director of a communications arts center.
Back: Available days in March 2007