Day in history for March 2, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- The Rock Island Plow Factory now is in active operation and is prepared to manufacture every variety of plow.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The long-awaited iron for the Milan Bridge arrived from Cleveland, Ohio this morning and is now being tested at the Rock Island Arsenal.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The average temperature for the month of February was 28 degrees, 3.6 degrees above the average for the past 35 years.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Watering of the main Rock Island lock, first completed unit in the $5,500,000 channel project in Rock Island, was completed by engineers last night.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- A free throw with 27 seconds left in the game by forward Lloyd Beese spelled victory for Augustana's Vikings last night, as the Blue and Gold swept to its fifth straight College Conference of Illinois victory, nipping Illinois Wesleyan University, 66-65.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Rock Island Mayor Jim Davis is featured in an article on black mayors in the March issue of Ebony magazine. The nationally circulated magazine focuses on eight black mayors in medium-sized Midwestern cities. Davis is quoted as saying that the chief challenge facing cities in the future is ''with unemployment and with trying to develop a city without federal dollars.''
Back: Available days in March 2007