Day in history for March 19, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- Yesterday was a disagreeable day, windy, snowy and squally. The ice in the river seems determined to remain until ''the sunny side of spring.''
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- Next week Edwin Booth will present ''Hamlet'' at the Harper Opera House.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- It will occasion some surprise that violations of the game law continue at this season, but they do.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Streets made slippery by snow and ice resulted in 17 automobile accidents and injuries to 6 persons in Rock Island yesterday.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Officials of the Eagle Food Center, 2125 11th St., Rock Island, today claimed the large cast iron eagle stolen from in front of the store and recovered later by Davenport police. How the 250-pound ''bird'' was transported from the Rock Island store to the Sears Roebuck parking lot in Davenport, where it was found, is not known.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Moline officials said today they want to know more about Rock Island Fire Chief Don Leslie's proposal to jointly build and operate a new fire station. Leslie told the Rock Island council the city soon may have to close its 68-year-old station at 7th Ave. and 31st St. and suggested the city save money by jointly building and operating with Moline a new station near the border of the two cities.
Back: Available days in March 2007