Day in history for March 17, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- Mr. Bissell, the engineer of the great suspension bridge at St. Louis, arrived in town on business connected with the survey of the river and railroad bridge at this place. He stopped at the Island City Hotel.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- St. Patrick's Day was not celebrated in this city by the usual parade today, but the money usually expended was sent for relief work in Ireland.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The fire department was summoned to the J. Goldman store, 26th Street and 4th Avenue, Rock Island, sparks from a chimney having set fire to the roof.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Josef Rosenblatt, famous tenor-cantor and a star in Al Jolson's ''Sonny Boy'' will appear for a concert in Rock Island High School March 31.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Telephone service between Aledo and the adjoining villages of Joy and Seaton has been improved recently with the connecting of three new trunk lines.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Ken McMillan plans to rest easy today before gearing up a campaign that will ''stick to the issues'' after toppling eight-term Congressman Tom Railsback by a slim 1,442-vote margin in the Republican primary Tuesday. McMillan found out this morning that he beat Railsback and will run against Democrat Lane Evans of Rock Island in the November general election.
Back: Available days in March 2007