Day in history for March 14, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- We are glad to hear that James G. Bolmer has returned to town again after spending the winter in the East.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- Joseph Baker of Rock Island, secretary of the United States Jewelers Guild, left today for Des Moines to attend a meeting of the Iowa Association.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- A company has been formed to investigate the zinc deposits in Rock Island County and near Andalusia.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Bill Brotman became a hero last night by heaving the ball through the netting from a few inches past the center of the floor enabling Rock Island cagers to gain a thrilling 26-24 win over East Moline in the district tournament.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- The main reason women go to college is to get a man, Dr. Donald G. Wallace, dean of the graduate school of Drake University, Des Moines, told the student body of Marycrest College at today's convocation. He spoke on the subject, ''Why College?''
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Jann Carl from Moline is no ordinary 21-year-old. A broadcast journalism senior at the University of Missouri, she also is the 1982 Maid of Cotton. As Maid of Cotton, Carl says her most important job is being a liaison for the National Cotton Council, informing leaders, businessmen and the public about the workings of the cotton industry.
Back: Available days in March 2007