Day in history for March 12, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- We wish the superintendent of the gas works would get a pint of oil on our account and stop the infernal squealing of that windmill.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- Despite the storm, the Little Eagle continued up the river after replenishing its fuel supply.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Eugene V. Debs of Milwaukee has been invited to address a meeting in Rock Island in protest of the imprisonment of Idaho miners officials.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Churches, schools and women's clubs are being enlisted in the campaign sponsored by the American Legion to find a job for every head of a family in Rock Island. Charlie I. Knorr yesterday addressed the faculty and students at Rock Island High School to get the students to take home with them the facts regarding the Legion program.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- The last of seven Rock Island air raid alert sirens was being installed today on the WHBF-TV tower in downtown Rock Island. The Rock Island Civil Defense Corps is directing the installation.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- In the late 1960's, Deere And Co. moved to save itself some money by setting up insurance subsidiaries to insure itself. Now the cost control device of the '60s has become a major profit maker of the '80s, with an annual revenue total of about $300 million.
Back: Available days in March 2007