Day in history for February 8, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- Mary Howitt, the poetess, has been writing a ''History of the United States.''
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- Adolphi Dunlap was elected president of the Old Settlers Assn. at a meeting held yesterday at Justice Cropper's office.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- An increase amounting to about $10 a month will be given firemen and policemen of Rock Island.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Two Rock Islanders are among the five champions who will defend their titles in the third annual Golden Gloves boxing tournament, opening tomorrow night in Davenport. The two are Johnny Baltzer, flyweight, and Quinn McCann, bantamweight.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Vernon W. Spencer has been named chairman for the 1957 Geneseo Red Cross fund-raising campaign, according to James R. Hutchinson, chairman of the Geneseo Branch of the Henry County Chapter of the American Red Cross. Preliminary planning for the drive, which will take place next month, is under way.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Coal Valley State Bank will get a name change to Valley Bank to go along with major building improvements which will be completed this spring. The name change was approved Monday at the bank's annual stockholders meeting. The move into Green Valley Plaza in Moline sparked discussions of a name change.
Back: Available days in February 2007