Day in history for February 4, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- A boy named Tracy, about 14, was passing through Colt's Meadow in a foot of snow when he found himself going down, down, down. He said he thought he was going to heaven or the other place, but when he stopped falling he found himself in five feet of water at the bottom of a 49-foot well.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- Word was received from Washington today that Charles J. Guiteau, assassin of the late President Garfield, has been sentenced to hang on June 30 in the Washington jail.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The city council passed a resolution to present the proposition of annexing South Rock Island to the city at the coming annual election.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Mrs. H.L. Moore was reelected president of the board of directors of the Rock Island YWCA this morning.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- A dispute over piecework prices at the John Deere Planter works has resulted in the executive board of the plant union being authorized to call a strike ''when and if it is deemed necessary.'' The union is Local 434 of the United Auto Workers.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Moline police are still searching for a man who robbed the Uptown National Bank of Moline, 1601 15th St., with a fake bomb, and escaped with two bank bags containing more than $5,000.
Back: Available days in February 2007