Day in history for February 27, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- A meeting of the executive committee of the Rock Island Agricultural Society will be held at the courthouse March 19.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The weather has proved too much for marital condidates and as a result no marriage licenses werre issued yesterday.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Preliminary work on the new viaduct over Sylvan slough will be started within a few days. Completion is scheduled for Nov. 1.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Maurice J. Gallagher was elected president of the newly formed Rock Island County Jefferson Club. The program for the concert by famed Russian pianist Vladimir Horowitz Tuesday was announced today.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Three fire department pumpers and the aerial truck pounded at full speed to Moline Lutheran Hospital at 1:31 yesterday afternoon, prepared to battle a king size blaze. It was a false alarm. A man had put a nickel in the fire alarm box to buy a newspaper.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- When Illini Hospital opens its new intensive care unit, it will be due in large part to the contributions of Michael and Margaret Churuvia. The Churuvias, of East Moline, have been among the largest donors to the Silvis hospital since it opened in 1968 and were the major contributors of funds for the new ICU.
Back: Available days in February 2007