Day in history for February 26, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- The proceeds of the recent fireman's ball were not enough to cover the expenses. This ought not to be so.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The members of the fire department last night elected James Johnson chief and Jacob Ohlweiler, assistant cheif.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Work in the erection of the new Zion Lutheran Church building was begun today. It is expected that the building will be ready for occupancy by July 1.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Dr. G. A. Andreen, president of Augustana College, left today for Mitchell, S.D. where he will be one of the principle speakers at the annual meeting of the South Dakota District of the Augustana Synod.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- The Federal Communications Commission today approved the transfer of channel 8 from Peoria to the Quad-Cities, giving this area its third very high frequency TV channel.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- The Quad-City unemployment rate soared to a record 14.2 percent in January. The high unemployment rate was caused by shut downs at five local factories -- John Deere Davenport Works, International Harvester Farmall and East Moline plants and J.I. Case Bettendorf and Rock Island plants -- that affected about 6,500 workers.
Back: Available days in February 2007