Day in history for February 25, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- We learned that a large dry goods store will be opened in Webbers new block April 1. An entirely new stock of goods has been selected expressly for this market.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- Fire last night destroyed many hams in the smokehouse at the rear of the Sass Butcher Shop.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Announcement was made today that the King's Daughters circles of Rock Island have leased quarters for a ladies' home and will open the institution early in April.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Decorations for the state convention of the Fraternal Order of the Eagles and preparations for the district high school band contest were considered at a meeting of the Chamber of Commerce conventions committee.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Damage estimated at $300 was done by vandals to an ashpalt basketball court at Arsenal Courts, Rock Island. A 20=foot ditch was dug in the court, according to Alan Duncan, executive director of the Housing Authority of the city of Rock Island.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- About a dozen demonstrators burned tax forms and draft registration documents durning a prayer vigil at the Rock Island Arsenal as part of an Ash Wednesday protest against war and violence in El Salvador and in the United States' building of nuclear weapons.
Back: Available days in February 2007