Day in history for February 24, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- Immediately after morning service at The Second Baptist Church the audience repaired to the river, just opposite Allings lumber yard, where a passage to the ice had been prepared. Seven ladies and nine gentlemen were baptized.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The quarantine against the village of Cable, which has been in effect several weeks because of smallpox, was raised by the surrounding villages.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Four new street cars, which will have a seating capacity of 32 passengers, are being completed rapidly by the Tri-City Railway company, and will be placed in service next month.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Jeanette Schutter, a 15-year-old pianist and daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Albert Schutter of Bettendorf, is to appear as guest soloist with the Tri-City Civic Orchestra at the Moline Field House.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Officers and representatives of four Rock River boat clubs discussed courses of action leading to making the river navigable from the Sears dam at Rock Island to the Sterling dam. Clubs meeting were at the Prophetstown and Erie boat clubs, the Shady Beach Club and Blackhawk Boat Club.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- WHBF Channel 4 news director Kenneth Keller, Rock Island, was elected vice president and president-elect of the Illinois AP Broadcasters Association.
Back: Available days in February 2007