Day in history for February 23, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- We wish the persons who are indebted to us would call at the office and settle.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The 17th anual festival of the Old Settlers Assn. of Rock Island County was held last night and was a success in every way.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- James McNamara was nominated as candidate for mayor of Rock Island at a meeting last night of the Citizens Non-Partisan Assn.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Judge Nels A. Larson of the circuit court made a plea for a return to a belief in the old-fashioned virtues of honesty, civic and personal righteousness in an address before members of the Rock Island Rotary Club. The opinion also was expressed that, with all our resources, we are in no danger of invasion by a foreign foe.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Opposition was growing in Davenport today to a bill introduced in the Iowa House of Representatives which would prohibit the sale of beer by grocery and other retail stores for consumption off the premises. The bill would limit the sale to taverns only.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Two 15-year-old Bettendorf boys were charged with disorderly conduct after they were rescued from a free floating chunk of ice on the Mississippi River, Davenport police said. The two were stranded about 70 feet from shore near East River Drive and Forest Road.
Back: Available days in February 2007