Day in history for February 20, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- The city at present is in a bad state both for business and pleasure. Nothing worthy of note is stirring, other than the bad state of the streets.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The Electric Light Co. of this city is contemplating a proposition to the city council to light Rock Island by electric towers.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- May wheat was quoted at 78 cents a bushel and corn at 47 cents a bushel in yesterday's Argus.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Will Rogers paid a 15-minute visit to the area yesterday while he waited for his plane to be refueled. When he was here, he predicted that John Garner would get the Democratic nomination for president. He also said that Jack Dempsey looked slow in his fight with Levinsky and ''probably won't be able to fight many more of the big boys.''
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Plans for a 10-store shopping center from 2201 to 2217 5th Ave. were announced by Irving Goldstein, a Moline automobile dealer, who will convert his present display rooms as part of the new structure.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Members of the George Fotos family could only stand and watch with tears in their eyes as their restaurant, Shannon's, at 116 W. 3rd St., Davenport, was destroyed by fire Friday evening. Friday's fire is still under investigation and no cause has been determined.
Back: Available days in February 2007