Day in history for February 17, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- If we were to say that the streets in the city were muddy, very muddy, we would be iterating only what everybody knows.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The roads are reported in very bad condition, which accounts for the limited number of farmers in the city this afternoon.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The Bluff Improvement Assn. is circulating petitions which will be presented to the city council asking that a hose house be built for the protection of the hill district.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Damage from the fire in the upstairs portion of the Avoy Theatre, 1506 15th St., Moline, was estimated at $10,000. The estimate was made by Buster Brotman, manager, and the insurance company.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Congress will be urged to boost mail carrier salaries from the present minimum of $3,600 to $5,500 annually. More than 200 postal employees attended the first local salary rally of the National Association of Letter Carriers in the Moline Moose Hall last night.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Inmates at the Rock Island County Jail will be expected to pay the cost of food and shelter during their confinement beginning July 1. The county board adopted a resolution Tuesday authorizing the state's attorney to recover the cost of housing convicted inmates from the inmates themselves.
Back: Available days in February 2007