Day in history for February 14, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- We were promised a telegraphic report the other day, but none came. We certainly are penned in on all sides. There is no news of any kind from any source.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The 17 prisoners confined in the county jail now are held at the Armory while the jail roof is undergoing repairs.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Five candidates, R.W. Olmsted, F.H. Kelly, J. F. Murphy, M.E. Sweeney, all of Rock Island, and W.J. Entrikin, Moline, have entered the contest for the office of county judge.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Blair Johnson of Rock Island has been appointed an ensign in the engineer section of the Rock Island Navel Reserves.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- The marriage license business fell to zero this Valentine's Day morning at the Rock Island County courthouse, after a spurt of applications yesterday. Ten licenses were issued yesterday, compared to an average Wednesday's quota of two or three.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Linda Harrington, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Roy E. Harrington, 3500 27th Ave. Court, Moline, was crowned Miss Blackhawk Valley of 1982 Saturday at Augustana College, Rock Island. She was one of 13 contestants in the pageant. Harrington is a sophomore at Bradley University in Peoria, majoring in elementary education.
Back: Available days in February 2007