Day in history for February 13, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- Arrangements are being made to make the Firemen's Ball the treat of the season.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- There is a rumor to the effect that the winter of 1838 was similar to the present season. At that time the river did not close until Feb. 13.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Bids for the new viaduct across Sylvan slough ranged from $109,000 to $130,000.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Marie Dressler, chosen as the best actress last year, is starring in ''Emma'' at the Fort Theater starting tomorrow.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- The City of Rock Island figures prominently in the Illinois Civil Defense 1955-56 biennial report transmitted to Gov. William G. Stratton and made public today by Gen. Robert M. Woodward, state CD Director. The report indicates an increase in strategic importance of Illinois as a prime enemy target since five Illinois cities, including Rock Island, are designated as critical target cities by federal authorities.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Dr. Harold Jersild, Moline, has been appointed to the Centennial Fund Nations Executive Committee of Dana College, Blair, Neb. Jersild, a Dana alumnus, is president of Moline Orthopedic Associates. As a member of the National Executive Committee, he will participate in a three-year fundraising drive with a $6 million goal.
Back: Available days in February 2007