Day in history for February 11, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- We have learned that next spring upwards of 300 families intend to leave the city for other parts. We venture that every one of them are working people and that high rents and high prices are driving them away.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- Henry Ward Beecher, the noted minister and lecturer, will deliver a lecture in this city during the month.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Robert Smythe returned this morning from Chicago where he attended the auto show. He said he is enthusiastic about the future of automobiling.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Harry J. Larkin, Rock Island, secretary and manager of the Rock Island Sand And Gravel Co., was elected president of the Quad-City Builders Club last night. Curt Lundeen, Moline, was named vice president.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Response to the first telefilm of a local basketball game over WHBF-TV has been good, according to station officials. A team of 14 men filmed the Rock Island-Alleman game, which started about 8:35 p.m. Saturday. The film was shown over the Rock Island station at 11 p.m.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Thirty skunks, seven bats, three cats, two foxes and one dog were found to have rabies in Rock Island, Henry, Whiteside and Mercer Counties in 1981, the Illinois Department of Public Health reported.
Back: Available days in February 2007