Day in history for February 1, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- Considering the calendar, residents of Rock Island today were considering themselves fortunate. A breeze from the south kept the temperature agreeable.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- Plans were made by the Phoenix Hose Co. to award George Alter a medal for his record of being first at the hose house the greatest number of times in the last six months.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- A license to incorporate was issued to the Rock Island Tool Co. Incorporators are Frank G. Young, C.J. Larkin and C.E. Shields.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Rock Island's division of United States Naval Reserves has prepared for mobilization for war service on two hour's notice in case of emergency, Lt. Karl E. Madden commanding officer, announced today.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Rock Island County mothers collected more than $10,000 in their annual Mother's March on Polio. The figure is higher than reported the day after last year's drive and is expected to exceed last year's total of $11,000, when all reports have been received.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Mary Rodewald, division director for science, mathematics and engineering at Black Hawk College, is one of 100 women in management chosen nationwide for a leadership training program sponsored by Maricopa Community Colleges of Phoenix, Ariz.
Back: Available days in February 2007