Day in history for January 9, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- We are under obligation to the Honorable Henry G. Little, member of the Legislature from this district, for an official copy of Gov. Matteson's message.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- M.M. Corbett spoke at a meeting of the Rock Island branch of the Land League on the Irish land question and a large audience heard the address.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The torrential rain which flooded Rock Island today was accompanied by a freak thunderstorm.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- John H. Hauberg yesterday was named chairman of the board of the new Rock Island Bank And Trust Co.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- The Quad-Cities most distinguished visitor from England was like an old shoe, comfortable and just good to have around. Lord Clement R. Attlee, former prime minister of England, whose plane was forced to land at the Quad-City Airport because of the snow, was affable, cheerful, cooperative and responsive.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- If you want a bargain in continuing education, this may well be the biggest opportunity you'll get. Registration for CommUniversity, an ecumenical continuing education program in its third year at St. Ambrose College, has already begun. Classes in categories of theology and church life, personal growth and development, humanities and the arts and public affairs cost only $6.
Back: Available days in January 2007