Day in history for January 8, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- The Rock Island city council wants the city limits definitely established. It requests that residents living in what is now known as the disputed territory meet with the council this afternoon.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The Rock Island city council has voted that cows can no longer be allowed to roam the streets and sidewalks of the city.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The Tri-City Railway Co. today announced that the first of 35 new street cars are being built at the Rock Island shops of the company.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Election of officers and a discussion of prohibition were highlights of the meeting of the Tri-City Federation of Labor last night at the Labor Temple. Ben A. Jacobson, Rock Island, was reelected president.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- A Rock Island youth, the first in the Western Illinois area, has been nominated for appointment to the U.S. Air Force Academy at Colorado Springs. He is Dennis Sears, 17, son of Mr. and Mrs. Harold J. Sears, 3203 10th Ave.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Some of Moline's history was crumbling with age. So the city clerk had it laminated. The $1,900 preservation work was done quickly, Jane Lundeen said, because a traveling book binder was in the Quad-Cities, laminating pages and rebinding record books for Rock Island County.
Back: Available days in January 2007