Day in history for January 4, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- A large delegation from Chicago arrived in this city and stopped at the Island City Hotel. All were in excellent spirits and were determined on a grand time despite the extreme cold weather.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- Dr. G.G. Craig was nominated and confirmed as health commissioner at the meeting of the city council Monday.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The Windmill Stroke Adjuster Co. of Rock Island today was issued a license to incorporate.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- The Rev. Clifford A. Nelson has accepted the call to the pastorate of St. John's Lutheran Church, Rock Island.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- The Navy will enlist a special squad from the Rock Island recruiting area this month. It will be called the Rocket Squad. The Rocket Squad and five other squads from Springfield, Decatur, Bloomington, Peoria and Champaign will form a complete recruit company to be called the Land of Lincoln Company. The Rocket Squad will leave for boot training at Great Lakes Jan. 23.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Cheryl Davison sort of chuckled to herself this morning as the snow fell. Her tepee, it seems, works ''a lot better than I ever would have expected.'' Her unique solution to high rents and housing shortages is a tepee pitched at the foot of Moline's 7th Street on the banks of the Rock River.
Back: Available days in January 2007