Day in history for January 3, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- Can Rose Clark be equal to Ruth Hall? Is it possible that Fanny Fern could have written another book as good as her last work? The book now is on sale in Rock Island stores.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The ferry was reported as having great difficulty in crossing the river because of floating ice yesterday.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- New Year's resolutions failed to affect the liquor business, Rock Island saloon keepers reported.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- The fourth annual contest of young artists sponsored by the Tri-City Symphony Orchestra Assn. will be held Jan. 30, John W. Casto, Rock Island, chairman of the contest committee, announced yesterday.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- A portable typewriter, clothing and jewelry, valued in excess of $200, represent a partial list of items reported taken in a burglary during the Christmas holiday at West Hall, a girls dormitory of Augustana College at 731 35th St., Rock Island.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Jane Johnson of Moline enlisted in the Air Force and expected to have a normal stint. Instead, she ended up in an entertainment troupe. The troupe does a Las Vegas style revue show. They travel all over the country and play officers' clubs and non-commissioned officers' clubs. The purpose is to raise morale and to aid in recruitment.
Back: Available days in January 2007