Day in history for January 29, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- The gas will soon be on hand, judging from the awful smell in our office yesterday.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- Charles Winter addressed members of the Rock Island Land League at a meeting held in Norris Hall.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- McKinley Day was observed in Rock Island with many wearing the carnation, favored flower of the martyred president.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Another search on ''Alcohol Island,'' near Lock 31 on Hennepin Canal west of Milan, revealed two 5,000 gallon vats and other liquid distilling apparatus.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Remodeling of the Telco Building, 18th St. at 3rd Ave. in downtown Rock Island, and the home of WHBF radio and television will be undertaken immediately, according to a joint announcement made today by Ben H. Potter, president, and Leslie C. Johnson, vice president and general manager of the Rock Island Broadcasting Co. The work will entail an expenditure in excess of $150,000.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Look out, William Teller and Cap'n Matt, Harvey Wallbanker is coming to town. Harvey Wallbanker is the name First National Bank of Moline has chosen for three automated teller machines it plans to install in the city. The machines will allow the bank to compete against other banks that have installed similar machines.
Back: Available days in January 2007