Day in history for January 27, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- Those who cut holes in the ice, so near the road across the river, do not think, perhaps, that it endangers life. Several men and horses have narrowly escaped while crossing at night.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The Arian Singing Society of Rock Island presented its first concert in Turner Hall. A large audience was present.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The Tri-City Athletic Club had completed arrangements whereby Packy McFarland and Steve Kinney will meet in a 15-round bout here about Feb. 10.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- When Bradley Tech plays Augustana College's basketball team in the Augie gym tomorrow night, Moline friends of Warren Esterdahl will have an opportunity to see him in action again. Esterdahl, who was captain of the Moline High quintet four years ago, is a senior at Bradley and last fall was captain of the Bradley football eleven.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Rock Island's population potential is 100,000 and its conceivable size 27.5 square miles if logical annexation steps and planning tasks are carried out.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Beginning April 1, the Silvis Police Department will dispatch police calls for Carbon Cliff. Silvis City Council members voted Tuesday to have city attorney Graham Lee draft a three-year contract to provide that service.
Back: Available days in January 2007