Day in history for January 24, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- If no accident occurs, the gas holder will be ready for repair today.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- Health Commissioner Craig announced yesterday that he will vaccinate all those unable to pay for it on the recommendation of the aldermen of the different wards.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The Trans-Mississippi golf tournament has been awarded to the Rock Island Arsenal Golf Club for the coming season, it was announced yesterday.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Snarling a warning to their eight remaining foes, Rock Island High cagers last night overpowered East Moline High School, 21-18, for their initial win of the season.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- A painting and three drawings by Grant Wood that have never been shown before will be part of the 'Grant Wood and the American Scene' exhibit at the Davenport Municipal Art Gallery, Feb. 3-24.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- A fire which damaged the kitchen area of a Carbon Cliff restaurant early Saturday morning is still under investigation. Fire Chief Greg Fellows said the cause of the fire which hit the Flamingo Club at about 2 a.m. Saturday has not been determined. Fellows said the fire apparently started in the restaurant's kitchen, and smoke and fire damage was limited to that area. Damage has been estimated at $8,000 to $10,000.
Back: Available days in January 2007