Day in history for January 20, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- The city of Rock Island gave a majority for Buchanan And Breckinridge, being the first time it ever gave a majority for a Democratic president.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The icemen are making the most of the present cold weather and are gathering in the present crop of ice.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Water, due to melting snow and heavy rains, filled the Coal Valley Mining Company's mine at Cable to a depth of 22 feet. All of the workmen escaped before the mine became flooded.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- An explosion of unknown origin wrecked the interior of Steve's Valet Shop, 423 16th St., Moline, causing approximately $800 damage.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Lee F. Tigh, grand monarch of the supreme council of the Mystic Order of Veiled Prophets of the Enchanted Realm, the fun loving unit of all Masonic groups in North America, will make an official visit to Zal Grotto of Moline Feb. 5.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- A $141,000 five-year plan to enlarge Sunset Marina by adding 78 dock slips for boats has been recommended to the Rock Island City Council. The council is scheduled to consider Monday the plan proposed in a report by marina manager John Berley, who says the additional boat spaces built in increments over five years could raise $40,000 a year for the facility.
Back: Available days in January 2007