Day in history for January 2, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- Our carrier desires to express his thanks to the friends of this establishment who contributed to swell his finances on the presentation of his New Year's Day address.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The January term of court opened, but due to the absence of Judge Pleasants, the circuit court did not convene and the grand jurors were dismissed for the day.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Mrs. Jennie A. Johnston was installed as worthy matron of the Rock Island chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Rock Island High School cagers started the new year in miserable fashion last night, bowing to a stronger Canton quintet, 33 to 8. The Rocks' only field goal was made by Gilluly.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- A total of 1,336 persons entered the armed services through Quad-City draft boards and recruiting offices in 1956, a number matching almost exactly the 1,300 sent the previous year.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Despite a hefty $2 million price tag, the Illinois Department of Tourism believes its new traveler center and scenic outlook near Rapids City was worth the investment. The center, built on Interstate 80 and Illinois 84, is one of only four in the state, and the only one that remains open all year. The center offers travel and tourism information for the entire state.
Back: Available days in January 2007