Day in history for January 18, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- Two teams on the dead run came up East Eagle Street the other day.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The Hennepin and Rock Island Canal central committee reported two donations of $25 to aid in arousing interest in the project.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- President H.B. Hayden of the Rock Island YMCA announced today that the next state convention of the YMCA will be in Rock Island.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- The Rev. G.E. Burton, pastor of the First Lutheran Church, Geneseo, today was elected president of the Rock Island district of the Augustana synod.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Five 13-year-old Rock Island girls admitted a series of shopliftings in eight Rock Island stores and involved five other girls. Victimized by the youthful shoplifters were the Fashion Shop, Miller's, Newberry's, F.W. Woolworth And Co., Rothschild's, McCabe's, Montgomery Ward And Co. and the Van Goor Record Shop.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Mississippi Valley Airlines moved into its new $3 million home at the Quad-City Airport this weekend. MVA President Burl McLaughlin said this morning that subzero temperatures made the move difficult. But even with ''sore backs, skinned knuckles and a little frostbite,'' McLaughlin said everyone was happy to be moving into the ''magnificent facility.''
Back: Available days in January 2007