Day in history for January 17, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- The gasometer at the gas works has burst and we must all fall back on ''taller'' for several days.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- Circuit court was adjourned yesterday as Judge Smith was unable to come to Rock Island from Galesburg because of the illness of Mrs. Smith.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Charles T. Harris and E.B. Kreis made formal announcement of their candidates for the Republican nomination for city clerk.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Winners of the ''Creepiest Moment'' contest, sponsored by the Fort Theater in conjunction with its current showing, were announced yesterday by John Krier, manager. First prize of $5 went to Leo J. LaVelle.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Alleman Football Coach Gene McCarter, although he has not been personally contacted, is being mentioned prominently for the assistant football coaching job at the University of Arizona, The Argus learned yesterday.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Norman Thompson, 29, of 512 W. 31st Ave., Milan, admits he hesitated Sunday night before he'd allow someone to drive him across the U.S. 150 Rock River Bridge in Moline. Hours before, Thompson's car skidded through a guardrail, dangled at the bridge's edge and plunged 40 feet to the river where it landed on the ice. Thompson walked away from the accident.
Back: Available days in January 2007