Day in history for January 16, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- Yesterday about 170 hogs were driven from Edgington to Mr. Harper's slaughter house. Seventy of the hogs were raised by Daniel Edgington and the remainder by his neighbors.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- A transient was arrested for robbing several Rock Island and Davenport residences. He confessed and his prospect for Joliet is exceedingly good.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Dr. G.L. Eyster was chosen president of the Rock Island Club.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Galesburg High School easily whipped Rock Island High last night in
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- An East Moline woman, Mrs. Jeanne Wrenn of 720 20th Ave., today was named the Illinois Polio Mother of the Year. The honor was conferred during the annual Rock Island County ''Mother's March Tea'' held at the Butterworth Civic Center in Moline. Mrs. Wrenn was stricken with polio July 14, 1954.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- A fire that destroyed an automotive garage near the Rock Island-Moline border early Friday afternoon injured one man and cut off phone service to about 120 customers. The fire, at Gene's Garage at 4522 6th Ave., Rock Island, started from a spark that ignited gasoline from a car that was being repaired for a leaking fuel tank.
Back: Available days in January 2007