Day in history for January 14, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- C.B. Knox, city undertaker, reported today 122 deaths in Rock Island during 1856. The highest month was August when 20 died. This gives an indication of the health of our city. That there should be only 122 deaths among a population of 10,000 would scarcely have been believed.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The Mascotte Dancing Club gave a party at Hillier's Hall which was a successful affair.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Barney Oldfield, famous auto racer, opened negotiations today with Tri-City promoters for an appearance here.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- A 500-gallon still, 2,000 gallons of mash and 140 gallons of hooch were seized in a raid last night at a camp located on the Rock River at the foot of 42nd Ave., Rock Island.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Junior center Don Nelson was the big scoring punch for Rock Island in the Rocks cage victory over Clinton Saturday night. The 6-5 pivot man scored 24 points to set the pace in the 69-61 affair.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- The economic woes that lashed the Quad-Cities last year failed to dampen the Christmas spirit of generous area residents who pushed the 1981 Good Fellow Fund drive to $17,683.08, the highest in its 69-year history. The fund is sponsored by The Daily Dispatch, with help from the Junior Service League.
Back: Available days in January 2007