Day in history for January 11, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- Dr. Ryland returned from St. Louis yesterday to resume the practice of his profession with Dr. Cady.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- F.C.A. Denkmann was chosen president and Frederick Weyerhaeuser, vice president of the Rock Island Lumber Co. at the annual meeting of stockholders.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Josephine and Nellie Dower entertained a number of their friends last evening at their home in Rock Island. Games and music were the diversions of the evening.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Radio station WHBF will open broadcasting in its new headquarters at the Harms Hotel. Mayor Chester Thompson will officially open the program.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Three dynamite blasts shook the East Moline waterfront yesterday afternoon but reports of shocks came from miles around. The blasting of the rock bed in the river bottom was planned to prepare for placement of a huge water inlet line for the new East Moline water filtration system.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- While city dwellers fretted about how to start their cars during the record weekend cold snap, farmers had headaches worrying about how to feed their livestock and keep them out of harm's way. As the wind chill factor slid to 80 degrees below zero Saturday and Sunday, snow drifted across farm lanes and gateways into the fields.
Back: Available days in January 2007