Day in history for December 9, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- We had a slow, warm rain all day, and continuing in the evening. People continued to cross the river on the ice, at the imminent risk of a dunking, if not of death.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- The shareholders of the Electric Light Company met and appointed M.G. Mills, C.E. Fisher and C.E. Hawley a committee on incorporation.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Mayor McCaskrin, Alderman Dauber and Alderman Eckhart have returned from Washington, D.C., where they attended the meeting of the National Rivers and Harbors Congress as delegates of Rock Island.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Francis Parker, 19-year-old shortstop of the Moline Baseball Club of the Mississippi Valley League, has been sold to the Detroit Tigers on a make-good basis.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- A Moline man, Henry E. VanHoorebeck, is new commander of the Rock Island County Pearl Harbor Veterans Association, succeeding Harvey Klindt of Davenport. Other new officers include Glen Moffitt, Aledo, vice commander, and John Miller, Rock Island, adjutant. Total membership in the organization is 28.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Three firefighters and one resident of a 16-unit Silvis apartment building were injured Tuesday night when fire ravaged the building at 834-36 11th St. Ct., causing about $250,000 damage.
Back: Available days in December 2006