Day in history for December 8, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- The board of managers of the Young Men's Christian Association will hold their regular meeting tonight at the First Presbyterian Church.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Twenty-four enlisted men on the island have formed a new branch of the Land League, the members of which are all of Irish nativity.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Members of the Siboney Bay Camp No. 8, United Spanish War Veterans, held their annual meeting for the election of officers. Edward N. Lundberg was named commander.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- State's Attorney Ben S. Bell, who has long been regarded as a possible candidate for the Republican nomination for Congress from the 16th district, has decided to be a candidate for reelection to the office of county prosecutor.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- After 34 years, Harry W. Pells is going to change business sites. He opened his service station on the corner east of the Rock Island City Hall in 1922. Now he is moving to make way for the completion of a one-block off street parking lot.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- When Stan McClellan looked into a box of Golden Grahams Monday morning he noticed a plastic wrapper with a certificate inside. He had just won $10,000. The sudden bonanza sent a wave of excitement through the nine-member McClellan family, of 1420 36th St., Rock Island.
Back: Available days in December 2006