Day in history for December 7, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- The Mississippi River Bridge Co. will run trains of cars between Rock Island and Davenport during the winter months and probably longer.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Rock Island merchants will meet during the week to discuss the propriety of establishing electric lights along 2nd Avenue.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Dr. M.A. Hollingsworth has returned from Chicago where he attended the annual meeting of the Illinois Veterinary Society.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Dr. G.A. Andreen of Augustana College will be one of a committee of college presidents representing all sections of the United States who will have an audience with President Herbert Hoover at 10 Thursday morning in the White House.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- All students at Edison School, 9th St. and 42nd Ave., Rock Island, were evacuated at 11:05 this morning because of a fire in an addition being constructed to the school. Three Rock Island fire companies and the aerial ladder truck were dispatched to the scene.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- The Moline post office lobby, previously open 24 hours a day, will be closed at night beginning this week. Al Doyle, superintendent of postal operations at Moline, said the lobby, the last in the Quad-Cities to be open 24 hours, is closing because of vandalism.
Back: Available days in December 2006