Day in history for December 31, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- A butcher in the upper part of town was bitten on the hand by a rabid dog. A doctor was called and the infected part was removed. The wound was exploded with gunpowder, cauterized and dressed.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- M.G. Mills, T.H. Thomas, J.M. Reticker, Frank Wheaton and C.E. Hawley were elected directors of the Rock Island Electric Light Assn.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Saturday night 2,960 candidates were initiated into the Modern Woodmen of America here. This is the largest class in the history of the society.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Approximately $1,334,000 was spent in wages by the Rock Island Lines in the shops here during 1931.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Plans for the construction of a new convent were announced yesterday at masses in St. Mary's Church, Moline. The building will be located near 11th St. and 4th Ave., east of the church. The convent will be for the Benedictine Sisters of St. Mary's parish.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Deere And Co.'s acquisition of an Illinois life insurance company has been approved by directors of each company. Pending approval by stockholders, Central-National Financial Corp. will be a wholly-owned subsidiary of John Deere Life Insurance Co. Central-National stockholders are to vote on the transaction at a meeting in late January.
Back: Available days in December 2006