Day in history for December 30, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Rock Islanders are rejoicing in the prospect of a very fine map of the city by Mr. Doran.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- The Hennepin Canal Committee took steps to raise $600, this city's quota toward the expense of printing and distributing a memorial to Congress.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- An 8-hour day will go into effect at the Augustana Book Concern with the advent of the new year.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Oscar Apple, Rock Island checkers enthusiast, will meet Tri-City checker players in an exhibition match in the YMCA New Year's Day. Apple will play as many as 25 players simultaneously.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- The first cigar store in the Hickey Bros. chain, 132 E. 3rd St., Davenport, has closed. For 55 years Hickey Bros. operated the store, which was the birthplace of the chain, which eventually grew to 130 stores in 19 states, the District of Columbia and Havana, Cuba. Considerable sentiment had been attached to the store by the Hickey brothers, William A. and the late D.J. Hickey Jr.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- John Snowden, 21, son of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Snowden, 2717 20th Ave., Rock Island, is on a 20-day tour of Europe with 43 other members of the special mixed chorus of the University of Illinois. The group left Sunday and will perform in Germany, Austria and Switzerland.
Back: Available days in December 2006