Day in history for December 3, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- The old jail, situated near the courthouse square, will be sold at public auction today.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Work has begun on the false trestle that is to serve as a temporary bridge at Milan until the permanent structure is completed.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- P.E. Cox, county treasurer, assumed his duties today.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- The Rock Island city relief committee cleared $940 on the charity football game Thanksgiving Day between the Rock Island and St. Joseph's High School teams.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- About 475 Quad-City area residents witnessed ceremonies Sunday which returned the portrait of Col. George Davenport to its home. The overflow crowd at the Davenport Municipal Art Gallery was accommodated in the gallery auditorium. Mayor Walter Beuse accepted the portrait in behalf of the City of Davenport when it was presented by Dr. Arthur S. Taylor of Ashland, Ore., a former resident of Aledo.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Ground will be broken next spring on a $1.25 million community center, thanks to a pledge of $250,000 Wednesday from the Geneseo Foundation to help pay for construction. The pledge, to be distributed over five years, was announced by Charles Blankenfeld, a director of Central Trust and Savings Bank, Geneseo, which manages the foundation.
Back: Available days in December 2006