Day in history for December 27, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Christmas was a very quiet institution in Rock Island, no fights, nobody drunk and no police items. A good many went to church and some went skating.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Members of the Ada Gray combination registered at the Harper House yesterday.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- The Young Men's Christian Assn. will hold open house on New Year's Day.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- City employees will contribute two percent of their monthly salaries, beginning in January, to the City Council Committee on Unemployment.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- The first Hungarian refugees are expected to arrive in the Quad-Cities tomorrow. Laszlo Kovacs, 2516 15th Ave., Moline, who is sponsoring his nephew and the man's wife, talked to him yesterday. The 28-year-old Hungarian called from Camp Kilmer, New Jersey. Kovacs said the couple were flown to the U.S. from Vienna in the Air Force airlift.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- The annual Coyne Center-Coal Valley winter water fight is akin to someone going outside in the freezing cold, turning on the garden hose and standing under the spray. Sensible people don't do that. But more than 15 volunteer fire departments thought it sounded like fun so they went to Coal Valley last Saturday to participate in the third annual winter water fights.
Back: Available days in December 2006