Day in history for December 2, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Public attention is requested to the new advertisement of Mr. H.H. Smith, Davenport. He has a very large assortment of the most fashionable dress trimmings and fringes, so much worn in the east.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Diphtheria is prevalent in South Rock Island.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Dr. J.W. Stewart was elected president of the Associated Charities.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Last month was the warmest November on record, Quad City Weather Bureau figures issued today revealed. The highest temperature was on Nov. 16 when 76 degrees was recorded.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- The city of Rock Island officially took possession of the new Hauberg Civic Center at 13th Avenue and 23rd Street, Rock Island, today. However, actual use of the center is not anticipated until late January or early February. The property has been donated to the city by heirs of the late Mr. and Mrs. John H. Hauberg.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Jana Stenzel, a senior at Orion High School, has a $1,000 college scholarship waiting for her because she adapted a cold soup recipe that pleased judges in a contest sponsored last spring by the National Pecan Marketing Council. Jana, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Al Stenzel of Orion, won the scholarship and a $150 cash prize for her entry, Curried Cauliflower Potage.
Back: Available days in December 2006