Day in history for December 16, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- John Deere, of Moline, took the first premium in Vermont for the best plows. He has recently received an order from England for one of his plows.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- The hull of the Jennie Gilchrist is undergoing repairs in the boat yard below this city and will float again this coming season in as good shape as when first constructed.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- The Mississippi River is frozen over above Dubuque and the local weather office today announced the discontinuance of the daily forecasts for the winter season.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- ''Begging food and selling it'' was the unusual charge on which a Davenport man was booked at the Rock Island police station.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Two chartered planes taking the Iowa Hawkeye football players to California for the Jan. 1 Rose Bowl game with Oregon State were forced to use the Quad-City Airport as a starting base when fog closed in around Cedar Rapids. A crowd estimated at more than 1,000 saw the Hawkeyes off from the Quad-Cities.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Old friends June Haver and Marilyn Bulat of Bettendorf got together recently at the home of the Fred MacMurrays in Los Angeles to talk over old times. The two women were once involved in the Juvenile Theater at WHBF radio back in the 1940s.
Back: Available days in December 2006