Day in history for December 11, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- We now have gas of good quality and in great abundance. We presume no opportunity will be given for fault-finding hereafter. The improvements in purifying will soon make gas of the very purest quality.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- The office of County Superintendent of Schools for Rock Island is at present vacant. The term of M.M. Sturgeon expired by limitation early this month.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- The board of directors of the YMCA plans a canvass for funds to make extensive improvements in the association's building, including the construction of a swimming tank and modern bathrooms.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- The Rock Island and Davenport Aeries of Eagles, engaging in their second annual euchre contest, will complete the first half of the year's competition in Davenport club rooms.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Top award in the bride's division in the eighth annual Pillsbury ''bakeoff'' when to Mrs. Raymond E. Myers of Milan, Ill., for ''easy cheesy buns,'' a no-knead roll flavored with American cheese. She won $3,000 for her recipe.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Oil paintings by 10 local artists will be on display in the Moline Public Library's Rotary Room through Dec. 30. The paintings were done by students in an oil painting class sponsored by the Moline Park Board.
Back: Available days in December 2006