Day in history for December 1, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- A new advertising column starts in the Argus today. We claim more advertising than the other two papers in the city put together.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- The fourth ball of the season will be held at Hilliers Hall this evening by the Rock Island Pleasure Club.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- According to the Three-I League average for the season, Rock Island led in team fielding, but was sixth in batting. The best batter on the Rock Island team is Cy Black with .272.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- The Rock Island High School boys' oratory team won its first contest over Davenport High School. Members of the Rock Island team included Jack Wright, Robert Maucker, Fred Hagen and Richard Stengel.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Burglars took $3,000 in cash, the majority from two safes, early this morning at the headquarters of the Rock Island Aerie of Eagles, 408 21st St. Detective Sgt. D. Max Jennings said the burglars forced open two safes, a cash register, pinball machine and automatic music machine. All are located on the second floor of the Eagles building.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- International Harvester officials announced Monday that the Christmas shutdown at plants in Rock Island and East Moline will be extended for another week. The plants will be shut down from Dec. 14 to Jan. 17.
Back: Available days in December 2006