Day in history for November 9, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Judge Sheldon of Galena is presiding over the fall term of our court, replacing Judge Drury. We hear him very highly spoken of by the bar as a man of fine legal ability.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- The commission in charge of the project of constructing the Hennepin Canal will meet in Chicago next week. Delegates will be present from Illinois and Iowa.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- While the owner was in the YMCA building today, someone stole his horse and rig. Later it was found hitched in front of a First Avenue saloon.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- C. Wayland Brooks, assistant states attorney of Cook County and an ex-serviceman, pictured the horrors of war and the folly of unpreparedness in an address at Armistice Day ceremonies sponsored by the Moline American Legion.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- A shipment of diamonds direct from the Kimberly mines near Johannesburg, South Africa, arrived at Woods Jewelers Inc. in Rock Island today. The polished stones were cut from virgin rough diamonds, meaning they have never been individually owned before.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- Scott County officials will break ground Thursday on a $4.9 million jail improvement project. An annex will link the jail with the county courthouse and office building underground and at the first floor level.
Back: Available days in November 2006