Day in history for November 5, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Many persons born in foreign lands were prevented from voting yesterday because they had not perfected their naturalization on account of there not being a court here until today.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- Word reached here that the steamer War Eagle crashed into a span of the Keokuk and Hamilton Bridge last night breaking it into fragments.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Principal H.E. Brown of Rock Island High School was named chairman of the executive committee of the Northwestern Teachers Assn.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Sea Scouting was introduced into Rock Island when four ships were organized at a meeting at Legion Hall. Leaders for each of the ships are Emery C. Moody, Charles Esplin, Howard Custer and Frank VanHorn.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- Robert A. Lancaster, 18, of 2107 Davey St., Davenport, was arrested Saturday night by Moline police because, they charged, he made too much noise with a burglar alarm on his car.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- The surprise Jennifer Heberling felt after learning a balloon she had released at a Moline church landed at the boyhood home of President Ronald Reagan in Dixon, was nothing compared to the surprise she got today from the White House. Jennifer received a congratulatory letter signed by Reagan and a photograph of him and Mrs. Reagan.
Back: Available days in November 2006