Day in history for November 4, 2006
- 1856 -- 150 years ago
- Mr. Stanley, of the Island City Hotel, returned from the east in excellent health and prepared to renew those attentions to the wants of the people for which that house has become celebrated.
- 1881 -- 125 years ago
- The board of health passed a resolution requesting that the board of education insist upon vaccination as a condition of children attending the public schools.
- 1906 -- 100 years ago
- Twenty priests of the Peoria diocese participated in the ceremony of dedicating the remodeled St. Joseph's Church.
- 1931 -- 75 years ago
- Rock Island firemen stood by for an hour yesterday afternoon in the vicinity of 4th Street and 20th Avenue as the bulrushes covering a 15-acre tract were burned.
- 1956 -- 50 years ago
- The Rock Island High School Barbershop Chorus, believed to be the only high school group of its kind in the nation, will give a demonstration at Columbus, Ohio, Dec. 1. Under the direction of Robert Maurus, the chorus will appear before the 25th annual convention of the Ohio Music Educators Assn.
- 1981 -- 25 years ago
- When and if the space shuttle Columbia finally gets off the ground, it will take a lot of Quad-Cities U.S.A. with it, about 300,000 pounds worth. That's 300,000 pounds of aluminum, produced at Alcoa's Davenport Works in Riverdale.
Back: Available days in November 2006